Saturday 25 December 2010

The Road Not Taken

'Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference'

What magnificent words by the Poet Robert Frost. I came across them whilst writing the other day and resolved to have them engraved on my headstone .

Swimming against the current requires courage and determination. It's not the easy option standing up against convention, but if you are going to make a difference, however small, you have to stand up for what you believe is right.

We live in a consumer driven and selfish society. It's Christmas day and our local radio was trying to encourage us to go online today to snap up the latest bargains! On freecycle the only listing for the day was a WANTED advert and I felt sorry that we are not grateful for what we already have.

One of my most cherished gifts today was a hand crocheted bag filled with home made preserves and pickles which had been lovingly made for me. The hours of love and kindness which had been put into that gift far out-weighed the most expensive gift that Harrods could supply.

I am surrounded by my lovely family.We have been well fed and are warm and clothed. The children are happily playing with their presents and I'm about to curl up with my book as I was kept awake by one little boy until 1.30am last night!

Let's be thankful with what we have rather than yearn for what we have not! Happy Christmas to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment