Sunday 19 February 2012

The very best places to bring up children in the U.K.

I read an article yesterday about the ten best places to bring up children in Britain. Top spot was a small village in Devon which didn't surprise me as my perception of 'a perfect location' is a rural idyll near open country with beautiful views. I was more surprised that Sutton Coldfield fell within the list. Now before you all descend on me swords unsheathed I have nothing whatsoever against Sutton Coldfield, in fact I spent twenty years down in the midlands and there are some lovely places to visit. It just didn't sit with my own perception of a perfect place, neither indeed did Moor Row, a small village up the West Cumbrian coast where unemployment is high and Sellafield Nucleur plant is a stones throw away. Judging by the comments posted by readers, I was not alone, each person had their own idea of what constituted a perfect place. For some it was a regular bus service (non existant in this neck of the woods), for others is was good schools (again a matter of subjectivity),for others it was easy access to public services like libraries and theatres. It was clear that statistics could be tailored to suit the view point of the author and didn't paint a true picture of what people want for their children. After our children were born we decided to upsticks and move from our home in Leicestershire to the Lake District where we had both been brought up. We were lucky to grow up in such a beautiful area but that wasn't the only factor, grandparents lived close by and we wanted our children to spend more time with them. It occured to me that location is only a factor in deciding the best place to bring up children, having a loving family around you with whom you can spend time is more important.In fact the perfect place to bring up your children is a place where you can be happy. It's not much use living in the perfect location if you have no money and are living on the poverty line. I have learned that for me a beautiful location is important for my well being.There is nothing nicer on a summers morning than flinging open the window to a view of the sea, it gives me that 'glad to be alive feeling'.Home is where your heart is and the best place in Britain to bring up your children!

2 comments:

  1. LIKE. you need a 'I love button'. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure they do one but if they did the Lakes would get one from me xx

      Delete