Wednesday 14 March 2012

It's Lambing time again!

I've just got back from the farm down the road. The sheep are lambing at the moment and there was a poorly looking sheep in the field.Having inspected it to see it wasn't just sleeping I decided it was decidedly ill and went to report the same to farmer Paul. He happened to be at the auction mart so his elderly old mother confirmed it had just had a very difficult birth and that there was another on the way. Meanwhile the first lamb is wobbling round the field like a weeble and its mother looks like a gonner! I'm just wondering whether to scrub up and do an emergency caeserian or to leave the poor thing to its fate and hope that Farmer Paul gets back from the auction in time I have to say I've come a long way since my early days in the country when I couldn't tell one sheep from another. I may not know all their breeds but I can tell which sheep belong to Paul and which are the rugged mountain sheep that have legs like springs and can escape from Alcatraz. I recognise their different markings too and the fact that their bottoms bear a coloured ink when they've been served by the Tup! We're used to a garden full of lambs at this time of year. When we first moved to the country my husband carefully built a little enclosure round my prize rhododendron to protect it from the sheep. I came back from the shops one day to discover two lambs INSIDE the enclosure together with my rhodedendron and unable to get out. Then there was the time when my then three year old son came into the kitchen to tell me that we had a lamb in the garden and it couldn't get back into the field so he'd told it to 'wait there' whilst he came in to get me!Now at the ripe old age of eleven he thinks nothing about grabbing a lamb round it's middle and chucking it back over the fence into the field. What our hens will think of several little faces peering through the fence at them this year I don't know but as they've come out to breakfast recently to face three large brown cows peering curiously over at them they'll no doubt survive the ordeal!

No comments:

Post a Comment